The GB Fastpitch National Teams programme is recruiting athletes for all five female teams for the 2022 season: Senior Women, Under-22, Under-18, Under-15 and Under-13.
Competition plans for 2022
Following a couple of years away from international competition due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the British Softball programme is back in full swing and is planning for teams to participate in competitions this year. As far as female fastpitch teams are concerned this means:
- The GB Senior Women's Team will be competing in the 23rd Women’s European Championship in Sant Boi, Spain from 24-30 July.
- The GB Under-22 Women’s Team will be competing in the 7th European Under-22 Women’s Championship in Kunovice, Czech Republic, from 27 June-2 July.
- The GB Under-18 Women’s Team, although without an official European Championship this year, will hopefully be competing at the Canada Cup in Surrey, BC, Canada from 17-26 June.
- The GB Under-15 Women’s Team will be competing at the 11th European Under-15 Women’s Championship in Enschede, Netherlands from 18-23 July.
- The GB Under-13 Girls’ Team, the GB Cubs, will be competing in the 9th European Massimo Romeo Youth Trophy tournament in Collecchio, Italy from 10-13 August.
How to apply
To express your interest in trialling for one or more GB female fastpitch teams for 2022, please complete the Application Form on the following link: https://bit.ly/3nooYuv.
Applications will be accepted up to 20 February 2022.
Information that players will be required to submit in 2022 as part of the trial process will be streamlined to ensure that all athletes will be able to trial safely and in line with any ongoing Covid restrictions (see below for more details).
A Selection Information Pack which will contain exact requirements for all testing protocols along with further information is currently being finalised and will be sent out to players who have applied in due course.
Any player who is currently injured but still wishes to be considered for selection should complete and submit the Application Form and send an email to the Selection Committee at email@example.com advising of your current injury and rehabilitation process.
Regardless of whether you live in the UK or elsewhere in the world, any athlete with a British passport, or who is eligible to get a British passport, is welcome to trial for any of the teams listed above.
However, it is imperative to note that all players selected for a GB National Team must have a valid British passport in order to play.
For further information on passport eligibility please see the following link -- https://www.gov.uk/british-citizenship -- or, if you require further information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Selection testing protocols
Athletes trialling for any GB female fastpitch national team will be required to produce videos of themselves completing various required elements and to submit data (timings/measures) related to each testing protocol.
While full details of the trial requirements will be included in the Selection Information Pack, we want to share with athletes that we will be asking to see the following testing protocols in case you are able to get a head start on them over the winter break (particularly useful for any returning athletes). Testing protocols will include (but will not be limited to):
- Broad jump
- 40-yard (120 ft) sprint
- Agility 'T' drill
- Pro Agility drill (5-10-5)
- Sit and Reach drill
Softball Skills Testing:
- Bat exit velocity (batting from a tee).
- Throwing velocity (target throws into a net).
- Fielding balls (receiving ground balls and fly balls).
Position-specific testing protocols:
- Pitchers (show warm-up and demonstrate speed and accuracy of pitches).
- Catchers (demonstrate receiving ball, exchange/transfer to throw, and release of ball to a target).
For any queries, please contact email@example.com.